I deal with Beauty Editors all the time and I can confirm, they absolutely love their jobs. Who wouldn’t? They have to try out all the latest skincare to hit the market and discover the beauty trends before anyone else!
HOWEVER, although they may love their job, their skin often doesn’t. Keeping up with the pace of new products often comes at a cost to their skin which I’ve affectionately dubbed “Beauty Editor Skin”
WHAT IS "BEAUTY EDITOR SKIN"?
A symptom of “Beauty Editor Skin” that you may relate to is when your previously resilient skin suddenly starts being sensitive. This is a sign that you have damaged your skin barrier.
Just like the surprisingly stingy feeling of a harmless trickle of water running over a paper cut, skin with a damaged barrier can react angrily to any product…even innocent water.
“Beauty Editor Skin” is skin that has become ‘sensitised’. Generally, the skin didn't start off sensitive but has become sensitive. Why has this happened? You have over-treated your skin. Generally there are two causes. The number one cause is using too many products. The second cause is using too many aggressive ingredients and or devices.
Whilst you may not be a Beauty Editor, you’ve most likely adopted similar habits, such as constantly trying new and different products or even adding more steps to your beauty routine which can all result in increased skin sensitivity. Yes, you can have too much of a good thing!
5 TIPS TO AVOID DAMAGING YOUR SKIN'S BARRIER
- Approach the latest fad ingredients or products with caution. As tempting as it is to try something new, if you are happy with the way your skin is feeling and looking – don’t. “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”. No statement could be more apt than for skincare.
- Never try new products on irritated skin. Irritated skin WILL react. (The exception to this rule is a soothing product designed to calm irritation)
- Listen to your skin. If a product irritates your skin, stop using it immediately. More often than not, your skin won't “get used to it”. If it doesn’t feel right, it's most likely not right for you.
- Always sample products on a small patch of your skin before fully introducing it into your routine.
- Don’t overcomplicate your skincare routine. Less might just be more.
WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU HAVE DAMAGED YOUR SKIN'S BARRIER?
If your skin is telling you it’s not happy and you think you’re suffering from “Beauty Editor Skin” then you need to immediately pare back your skincare to the basics only.
Irritated skin is a sign of a weakened skin barrier and your priority is to re-build this barrier and your skin’s defences. You won’t necessarily know which products are have triggered this irritation until you strip everything back to the bare basics. Only once your skin has recovered should you consider introducing new products into your routine.
After recovering, avoid products which strip or irritate your barrier function further. Choose products for “Sensitive Skin”, avoid foaming products and avoid too many active ingredients, like retinoids and acids. Instead choose products which will add as much moisture as possible to your skin such as no-rinse cleansers and pure-oil products.
7 SIMPLE STEPS TO RESTORE YOUR SKIN BARRIER
Use a sensitive skin cleanser - Ultra-sensitive Treatment Cleansing Oil works beautifully.
Apply an uber-hydrating moisturiser twice a day. We recommend Ultra-Sensitive Face Balm
Sleep with a thick layer of balm on your face for an intense overnight treatment
Skip exfoliators and peels until your skin barrier is restored
Avoid hot water on sensitised skin
Minimise irritation by avoiding scratchy face cloths and try not to scratch!
- Be patient.
SHOP ALL THE PRODUCTS IN THIS ARTICLE:
- Gentle Water-less treatment Cleanser: Ultra-Sensitive Treatment Cleansing Oil
- Uber-Hydrating Face Moisturiser: Ultra-Sensitive Face Balm
- Intense Overnight Treatment:Ultra-Sensitive Face Balm
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT SENSITISED SKIN, LISTEN TO SHOSHANA BEING INTERVIEWED IN THIS BEAUTE INDUSTRY PODCAST: SENSITISED OR SENSITIVE?
RELATED ARTICLES YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: