From your answers, it appears that your skin is oily, What does this mean for you?
9 Rules for your Oily Skin
- Don’t be scared of oils in your skincare. The right oils are your friends. You want oils which will slip off the excess oil, without penetrating (or it would make it oilier)
- Use a low-foaming cleanser (definitely Sulphate free) Big lathery cleansers which make your skin feel tight are actually stripping your skin. This can sometimes cause your skin to produce more oil.
- Thou Shalt Not Over-exfoliate. It is so tempting to exfoliate often when your skin is oily. Not only may it cause your skin to produce more oil. Twice a week is the max.
- Avoid Hot Water when washing your face. It can open your pores to release more oil. Warm water is perfect.
- Avoid aggressively towelling you face dry. Pat dry instead with a clean towel. Don’t even think about drying your clean face with the hand towel everyone in your family uses…. Probably best not to think about it…
- Choose products that are designed to re-balance oily skin, you don't want anything too stripping/aggressive as that may push your skin to produce more oil.
- Oily areas don't require moisturiser. Only apply moisturiser to the dry areas of your face. The oily areas of your face are already producing enough moisture all by themselves.
- When you buy products for the first time, try sample sizes or products with guarantees. Don’t you already have endless products which were meant to work, or worked well for someone else. It’s depressing & a huge waste of money…
- Sometimes Oily Skin with a lot of pimples requires further intervention. Some skin issues are caused by internal factors, primarily hormones. The right skincare can help in these situations but sometimes they are not enough.
I hope these rules help you manage your skin better. I think they also open up many other questions, like: What are Sulphates anyway? What oils are good oils for Oily Skin? Which ingredients in Skincare should I avoid? To find out more about your skin & skincare, make sure you are subscribed to our newsletter & blog.