Rosacea is a common, often under-diagnosed skin condition that causes redness, flaky skin, flushing and small, pus-filled bumps on the face. It most commonly affects middle-aged women with fair skin and is often mistaken for acne or other skin conditions.
For those suffering with Rosacea, you are not alone. It's a super common condition with statistics showing as many as 18% of the global population are managing Rosacea on a daily basis.
Although there is no 'cure' for Rosacea, the good news is, it can be very successfully managed.
Common Rosacea Symptoms
Although there are ranging symptoms of Rosacea depending on severity, the most noticeable signs are redness on the cheeks, nose, chin, and forehead.
Other Common symptoms include :
- Stinging and burning of your skin
- Patches of rough dry skin
- Small pustules
- Enlarged pores
- Broken blood vessels
- Bumps on your eyelids
Your Rosacea symptoms can come and go. They might flare up for a few weeks, fade, and then come back.
What triggers a Rosacea Flare?
Rosacea makes the skin extremely sensitive. Because of this sensitivity, many things can 'trigger' or cause Rosacea to flare. Time spent in the sun, stress, skincare and alcohol - are just some of the common triggers that can lead to unexpected flushing that may last hours, days, weeks or even longer. Triggers differ from person to person and often, there is no 'obvious' trigger and so it becomes a guessing game.
Common triggers include :
- Sun exposure
- Spicy foods
- Alcohol / Red Wine
- Foods containing histamines
- Skincare ingredients
- Haircare Products
- Temperature extremes
Treating Rosacea immediately is really important as the skins protective barrier has been compromised, re-building this protective barrier is essential to aid your skin and it's recovery.
Re-building your skins barrier
Firstly, what does this mean?
The skin barrier is, as the name suggests, our skin's protection - the outer surface of the skin. It has a 'brick and mortar' structure. The bricks are our skin cells and the mortar are our oils. When the mortar is damaged, from a multitude of reasons, it allows outside pollutants and irritants to enter and damage the skin cells. This is what we call 'a damaged skin barrier' and visible signs of this 'damage' include flaky, red, irritated and often itchy dry skin.
Re-building the skins barrier is essential to happy, hydrated glowing skin and of course, managing your Rosacea. Finding products that are super-gentle on the skin void of irritants and offering maximum hydration is paramount.
Below is my 7 essential tried and tested techniques to help managing Rosacea :
1. Moisturise Well & Often - The right Moisturiser is not purely cosmetic for Rosacea sufferers. The secret to preventing Rosacea flares AND to speed healing is to maximise hydration. Double your moisturiser use and you will see a dramatic reduction in flare-ups. A great tip is to keep a moisturiser and a bottle of water in your handbag. Increase your hydration at the first signs of a flare-up.
2. Avoid washing your face with too hot or too cold water - Use water that is just right! (Goldilocks was a genius) Even better, use products that don’t require water, as it can be stripping.
3. For relief of an angry, red flare, an ice pack in a cloth can really help.
4. Be gentle with rosacea-affected skin - Always apply products with a delicate touch. And use very soft cloths and cotton. Don't over exfoliate and when you do, use gentle exfoliators with spherical beads (Jojoba Beads) that don't have an abrasive surface, but will gently remove dead skin cells and aid with moisturiser absorption.
5. Certain foods or situations may be your rosacea trigger - Stress, chilli and other foods, alcohol, irritating cosmetic and laundry ingredients, sun exposure and dramatic temperatures are common triggers for Rosacea. Keeping a food/general diary may help you identify potential triggers and then avoid if you can.
6. Look for skincare products which are suitable for Sensitive skin - Avoid irritant ingredients and fragrance in your skincare, make up & sunscreen as they are common triggers. Pare your skincare back to basics. A gentle cleanser and moisturiser is all you will need and slowly introduce a gentle exfoliator. Your skin is likely to be sensitive to products it could tolerate before so keep everything as gentle and chemical free as possible to help your skin barrier recover.
7. Always patch-test skincare products - And only on non-irritated skin. Irritated skin is irritated and will always react.
AND Sometimes, you may need to see a Doctor - Some cases respond very well to antibiotic creams and other prescription products.
In Rosacea, like all skin-sensitivities, prevention is the best cure. So now as we head into Autumn, start paying more attention to your skin and keep your skin well hydrated in anticipation for the colder months ahead.
I have created QED Skincare’s Ultra-Sensitive range combining my years of Pharmacy experience with extensive Scientific research. QED Products have been formulated from plant-based, unscented ingredients to soothe and protect even the most highly sensitive and re-active skin.
The Ultra-Sensitive Mini Starter Kit $117
Formulated to help banish Rosacea, naturally
The Ultra-Sensitive Mini Starter Kit includes :
Ultra-Sensitive Treatment Cleanser 60ml : Purify, nourish & protect your skin with this Ultra-Sensitive Treatment Cleanser. Its super gentle formula will remove dirt, impurities & stubborn makeup (including waterproof), whilst replenishing the skin's natural defence barrier. If your skin is dry or sensitive, this mega-gentle natural formula is perfect for you - cleansing & boosting the resilience of your skin all in one hit.
Ultra-Sensitive Face Balm 15g : Ultra-Sensitive Face Balm is a uniquely effective, powerful moisturiser that combines the barrier benefits of a natural balm with the absorption & luxury finish of a cream. This multi-benefit moisturiser supports true skin health and beauty by facilitating maximum cellular hydration, repair & restoring vital skin function. This ultra-rich balm melts into the most sensitive of skins to provide decadent hydration & improve the resilience of reactive skin reducing flares whilst improving appearance.
Ultra-Sensitive Exfoliating Balm 15g : This exfoliating balm uses Jojoba beads to gently polish & refine the skin's surface while the ultra-luxe balm cleanses & moisturises. Formulated for ultra-sensitive & dry skin, this gorgeous product will gently remove dry & flaky skin & also deeply nourish & hydrate. The multi-benefit exfoliator supports true skin health & beauty by facilitating maximum cellular hydration, repair & restoring vital skin function. Melting into the most sensitive of skin, this exfoliating balm will provide decadent hydration & improve the resilience of reactive skin reducing flares whilst improving appearance.
Ultra-Sensitive Eye Balm 5g : Our highly concentrated, yet quickly absorbed eye balm was formulated to address the concerns of those with ultra-sensitive skin whilst still addressing the most common skincare concerns around the delicate eye area - dark circles, puffiness, lack of firmness & dehydration. A unique complex packed with Cucumber Oil & all-natural ingredients to optimise hydration, visibly smooth fine lines & wrinkles whilst reducing puffiness & dark circles.